How Does Zopiclone Actually Work?
Zopiclone is a medication used in the treatment of insomnia. It is classified as a hypnotic sedative and anxiolytic agent, which means it can help to relieve anxiety and help you sleep peacefully. It is available generically as well as under a number of brand names including Imovane® and Zimovane®.
How does it Work?
Zopiclone is a prescription drug that is taken in tablet form. It works by helping you have a good night’s sleep by blocking the action of a natural chemical messenger in your brain called gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), which is present in large quantities during sleep and acts as the body’s natural tranquilizer.
How effective is Zopiclone in Treating Insomnia?
In clinical trials, Zopiclone is effective in treating insomnia. The FDA has approved it for the treatment of insomnia, and most patients have found it provides a good night’s sleep.
In a research study conducted by scientists, Zopiclone was found to be just as effective as a different sleeping pill in relieving insomnia symptoms. Patients treated with the drug had an average of six hours of sleep per night over a period of a week, compared with an average of 5.5 hours for those treated with the other sleeping pill. The researchers also found that both groups slept the same amount and quality of sleep during the study.
When should Zopiclone not be used?
Zopiclone should not be used if you:
- If you are taking a Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor (MAOI) or have used one within the past 2 weeks.
- Are allergic to it or any ingredients listed in the drug’s insert and patient information (PI).
- If you are taking Zopiclone as a sedative for purposes other than insomnia, including sedation for medical procedures or tranquilization for pets.
- Are, or have been within the past 4 weeks, treated with medications used to treat mood disorders (including antidepressants).
- Have a history of seizures, including those that are not controlled by medication.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, it can pass through to your baby.
Are there any Side Effects?
As with all drugs, some side effects are associated with using Zopiclone. These side effects are reported by patients and may not be seen in every patient.
- Lethargy the day after taking a dose.
- Hallucinations and nightmares in some rare cases (these are temporary).
- Shallow breathing, which may be noticeable to others (this is rare).
- Headaches and tiredness when you wake up if you fall asleep within 5 hours of taking Zopiclone (this is also uncommon). If any of these or any other side effect becomes troublesome, please get in touch with your doctor immediately or go to the Emergency Department at the nearest hospital for treatment.
- It may increase sensitivity to light, and hallucinations are possible, but they are rare and usually do not last long.
- It may cause a level of drowsiness or even, in some cases, very heavy sedation that results in complete sleep. Some people have also reported an increased sense of anxiety and paranoia after using it.
Zopiclone can be taken with or without food. It is available as a single-strength tablet, a 3.5 mg tablet, or a 7.5 mg tablet.
Zopiclone may only be used for sleep and cannot be administered to treat or prevent any other illness.
Overall, Zopiclone is an effective drug used to treat insomnia. It is a good option for those who are worried about sleeping pills. It is available in online pharmacies like Meds for Less Ltd and can be delivered to you.
If your insomnia does not resolve after using Zopiclone, you may need to see a doctor because of an underlying medical cause. Seek medical advice before taking any medication and follow the instructions carefully. If you feel sleepy or sedated in situations where it is unsafe, do not drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how it affects you.