What are Metoprolol Tablets?
Metoprolol tablets come in two strength, 50mg and 100mg. You can buy metoprolol tablets at Meds for Less.
Metoprolol tablets belongs to a group of medicines known as beta-blockers. This medication may be used alone or together with other medicines to treat high blood pressure (hypertension).
How does Metoprolol work as a treatment for High Blood Pressure?
Metoprolol works by affecting the response to nerve impulses in certain parts of the body, like the heart. It does this by slowing down your heart rate, and making your heart beat with less force. This makes it easier for your heart to pump your blood around your body, which lowers your blood pressure. When the blood pressure is lowered, the amount of blood and oxygen is increased to the heart.
What is High Blood Pressure?
High blood pressure is added workload to the heart and arteries. If this added pressure continues for a long period of time, the heart and arteries may not function properly. This can damage the blood vessels of the brain, heart, and kidneys, resulting in a stroke, heart failure, or kidney failure. High blood pressure may also increase the risk of heart attacks. With controlled treatment of high blood pressure these problems may be less likely to occur.
How Do I use Metoprolol Tablets?
Metoprolol must be used exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. If you are unsure contact your GP.
Common dose for hypertension is:
100mg per day, given as a single dose or in divided doses. Your doctor may adjust your dose as needed. However, the dose is usually not more than 450 mg per day.
It should be taken at the same time each day, with a glass of water.
Where Can i buy Metoprolol?
Metoprolol is a prescription-only medicine. So when you buy metoprolol uk, you should ensure you're buying from a reputable source such as Meds for Less.
What are the side effects of Metoprolol tablets?
More common side effects:
- Blurred vision
- chest pain or discomfort
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
- slow or irregular heartbeat
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Less common side effects:
- Bloating or swelling of the face, arms, hands, lower legs, or feet
- chest tightness
- decreased urine output
- difficult or labored breathing
- difficulty with speaking
- dilated neck veins
- disturbed color perception
- double vision
- fast, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
- halos around lights
- inability to move the arms, legs, or facial muscles
- inability to speak
- irregular breathing
- loss of vision
- night blindness
- noisy breathing
- overbright appearance of lights
- pain, tension, and weakness upon walking that subsides during periods of rest
- paleness or cold feeling in the fingertips and toes
- rapid weight gain
- seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there
- short-term memory loss
- slow speech
- swelling of the face, fingers, feet, or lower legs
- tingling of the hands or feet
- tingling or pain in the fingers or toes when exposed to cold temperatures
- trouble breathing
- tunnel vision
- unusual weight gain or loss
Rare side effects:
- Bluish color of the skin of the fingers or toes
- clay-colored stools
- continuing loss of appetite
- continuing or severe abdominal or stomach pain
- continuing or severe nausea and vomiting
- dark urine
- difficulty with moving
- increased frequency of urination
- itching skin
- light-colored stools
- lower back or side pain
- muscle pain or stiffness
- numbness of the fingers or toes
- pain, swelling, or redness in the joints
- sore throat
- sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
- unpleasant breath odor
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- upper right abdominal or stomach pain
- vomiting of blood
- yellow eyes and skin
If you have any severe side effects seek medical assistance as soon as possible.
Emergency supply of Metoprolol:
Metoprolol is a prescription only medicine and an Emergency Supply can only be issued if you are currently being prescribed this medication by your GP for high blood pressure. You will need to fill out a questionnaire, which is then reviewed to make sure Metoprolol is a suitable treatment for you. You will also need to upload proof that you have used this item before. If your order is approved, your Metoprolol can be sent directly to you.
Warnings and Precautions
Always take this medication exactly as directed by your GP.
Keep out of sight and Reach of children.
If you are taking any new medications even over the counter medicines whilst taking Metoprolol you should make your GP aware to prevent interactions.
Avoid or limit alcohol consumption whilst taking Metoprolol. (Alcohol with atenolol can cause you blood pressure to drop to low and dizziness).